Okay, I’m’a need everyone to hold tight for a few minutes while I rewrite the laws of physics in order to pack all of this.
charminggoats replied to your post: Nano Update: Day 10
<3 You’ll be fine. If you get slowed down a bit, take a day of rest when you get back and then write, write, write!
Thanks, bebe! Today might be a lost cause. Traveling 9am-8pm (FOUR AIRPORTS ffs) then a three-hour drive then a working dinner with boss. Now in hotel room and just want to sleep. Especially since I have to be up at, like, 6:30 tomorrow so my day can start at 7:45am and go till 6+pm. ::headdesk:: But, my evenings are largely free, and I should be able to go like gangbusters over Thanksgiving. So I’m hopeful!
My trip to New Orleans was thoroughly excellent and there will be more on that later, I imagine. I have a few pictures to send to myself and upload, since my phone for some reason didn’t want to upload them to Tumblr. Highlights:
- So much time spent with my gentleman, which was just perfect on so many levels. And my mom got to meet him and deemed him “very sweet”.
- BEIGNETS. Lots of them. It’s going to be a while before I feel up to stepping on a scale.
- The world famous Camellia Grill, a fun little diner where a huge personality named Penut took quite good care of us.
- Trip to St Louis Cemetery to pay my respects to Mme.
- Taking the streetcar down St Charles and seeing all the fabulous houses (that I covet) decorated for Halloween.
- Watching the sun set over the water in Audubon Park — very romantic.
- Dinner at Muriel’s, a fancy restaurant right on Jackson Square — very classy and elegant, and the waitress told us we were a fun couple.
- Fabulous chicken gumbo in a little courtyard.
- Got beads on Bourbon St (and came by them honestly). Bourbon St was pretty chill Wednesday and Thursday, but last night there was a whole lot going on. We saw many Wrong costumes, and some more impressive ones.
- Oh and also there were proselytizers with a giant (like ten feet high) silver cross in the middle of the street. So I started trying to play ring toss with it and my beads. I didn’t manage to ring it, but I got close a couple of times, and it attracted the attention of a bunch of fabulous gay men dressed as Olympic athletes who decided they wanted their picture with me.
- Successfully shopped for several people. And browsed around in a lot of stores even if I didn’t buy anything in them. I love all the cool boutiques and antique stores down there in the Quarter.
- Mom managed to finagle our homebound flights around, ostensibly to avoid the hurricane (that hasn’t reached the coast yet), and we ended up on an almost-empty flight from NOLA to NYC, meaning that we got to snag the exit row entirely to ourselves. Made for a way more comfortable journey. And we got back to Richmond at 5pm rather than at midnight.
Seeing the city (and particularly Bourbon St) a few days before Halloween has made me really, really want to come back for Halloween proper. Possibly as soon as next year. I had a blast.
And now that I’m back connected to the rest of the universe (sigh), I will probably not catch myself up all the way back to Wednesday, so if there’s anything hugely important that I’ve missed, point me at it.